| NHSGGC Home | Contact Us | Useful Links |
 

Home

Anniversary Events

Photo Gallery & Film Links

NHS Diamond Awards

Your Stories / Forum

Timeline

A Significant Medical History

The Western Regional Hospital Board (WRHB) was established under the National Health Service (Scotland) Act of 1947. It was responsible for hospital services and clinics, both former local authority and voluntary institutions. Public health remained a local authority function whilst the provision of general practitioner services was the responsibility of various NHS Executive Councils. It was by far the largest Health Board in Scotland, covering the City of Glasgow and the counties of Argyll, Ayr, Clackmannan, Dumfries, Dumbarton, Kirkcudbright, Lanark, Renfrew, Stirling and Wigton. Approximately half of Scotland’s population were within the WRHB area.

The WRHB appointed Boards of Management to manage the hospitals and clinics on a day-to-day basis. The Regional Board retained responsibility for strategic planning and for the oversight of Board of Management finances. The WRHB also coordinated medical education, particularly at post graduate level, in liaison with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow and the University of Glasgow. It was abolished in 1974 when it was succeeded by the Greater Glasgow Health Board and four other boards (Argyll and Clyde, Ayrshire and Arran, Dumfries and Galloway, and Lanarkshire). NHS Argyll and Clyde was wound up in 2006 and since then NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde has taken responsibility for the provision of healthcare in the City of Glasgow, Renfrewshire, East Renfrewshire, West Dunbartonshire, East Dunbartonshire and Inverclyde.

< Return to the 1940 - 1950s

< Return to the Timelime

Admin & clerical staff of the first Western Regional Health Board